How do NDMTSS and Special Education Work Together?
School districts in North Dakota are permitted to use a process that determines how a student responds to scientific, research-based interventions (RtI) when determining whether that student is or continues to be eligible for and entitled to special education services under the category of specific learning disability. North Dakota has developed Administrative Rules that outline how a school can utilize MTSS (RtI) in its determination process for special education. Additional documents to assist schools in meeting the requirements of NDCC 67-23-06 can be found at ND DPI website
The purpose of the REA Implementation Support Team is to plan for conditions that make implementation of effective practices with fidelity reasonable, practical and doable, through a collaborative process. ND MTSS project staff will work with the REA implementation team to effectively deliver supports to school teams in North Dakota. REA staff conducts a gap analysis of their region’s desired state and current state of implementation (needs analysis), and uses it to develop a plan for training, coaching, technical assistance and distribution of materials, based on their region’s needs (planning). Once the plan is created, the implementation team manages implementation efforts (implementation). Adjustments to the plan are based on data to ensure successful outcomes (evaluation). It is also the responsibility of this team to embed this work with existing district initiatives (e.g., school improvement).
REA Implementation Support Team Responsibilities
- Develop REA implementation support plan (resources and supports for districts/schools)
- Provide districts/schools guidance and assistance to integrate new and existing initiatives
- Support school/district development MTSS implementation plan and monitor periodically
- Provide supporting documents, examples, tools, and materials to help facilitate implementation
- Collect and summarize training and implementation data
- Identify barriers to implementation