Foundations of Reading Instruction & Intervention (K-5 Educators)
2023-2024 Flyer | Register here
August 2023 - January 2024
Day 1: August 8th or September 18th
Day 2: October 19th or November 6th
Day 3: January 22nd
*Day 1 & 2 dates vary by location
- Course Description: This three-part learning series is designed to provide educators with the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to address a variety of students’ needs in reading.
- Audience: K-5 classroom teachers, Title teachers, special education teachers, interventionists, coaches, and administrators that wish to improve outcomes for all students in the area of reading.
- All sessions run from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. Lunch will be provided for each session.
Instruction (Day 1): Provides the research behind what it actually takes to be a successful reader. Educators will dive deep into the 5 big ideas of reading (phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary) and learn how to explicitly teach those skills. Join us to learn critical knowledge and skills to be able to meet the needs of all readers.
- Identify and describe the 5 Big Ideas of Reading.
- Understand the scope and sequence of skills within each of the big ideas of reading.
- Analyze multiple instructional routines and materials designed to teach each of the big ideas of reading.
- Evaluate current instructional practices and explore ways to enhance them.
Assessment (Day 2): Gain a deep understanding of how to assess the big ideas of reading is vital if educators intend to improve educational outcomes for all students. Day 2 of Foundations of Reading Instruction and Intervention will provide a deeper understanding of the different purposes of assessment, tools that assess the big ideas of reading, and how to use assessment data to guide an instructional response.
- Explain the continuous improvement cycle and the vital role of assessments within the cycle.
- Explain the different purposes of assessments.
- Explain various assessments that can be used to measure the big ideas of reading and guide instruction.
- Evaluate current assessment practices and explore ways to enhance them.
Intervention (Day 3): Learn and engage in numerous strategies and resources to match the continuum of students’ needs for class-wide, small group, and/or individual reading intervention. This session will build upon understanding the reading foundations (Day 1) and assessing student needs (Day 2) in order to layer targeted supports for students in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
- Understand how to plan to address instructional needs in all 5 big ideas of reading for class-wide, small group or individual interventions.
- Apply data-based decision-making to identify the instructional match.
- Evaluate current practices and explore ways to enhance them.
Questions? Please reach out to Collette Cunningham at email@example.com.